Welcome Logout

Choosing or Changing Your Primary Care Manager

If you are enrolled in a TRICARE Prime plan, you will have a primary care manager (PCM). The exception to this is certain TRICARE Prime Remote enrollees who live in remote areas. 

There are three steps to choosing or changing your PCM:

  1. Determine if you live in a Prime Service Area.
  2. Select a new PCM.
  3. Request a PCM change.

1. Determine if you Live in a Prime Service Area


The guide will tell you if you reside in a PSA and are required have a PCM at your local military hospital or clinic. If you do not live in a PSA and are not required to have a PCM at your local military hospital or clinic, you can: 

  • Use the Network Provider Directory to find a civilian PCM.  
  • Enroll in TRICARE Prime Remote (TPR). Use TRICARE’s Plan Finder to determine your eligibility for TPR. 
    • Active duty service members (ADSMs) must live and work more than 50 miles or about one hour’s drive time from the nearest military hospital or clinic.
    • Active duty family members (ADFMs) must live with their TPR-enrolled sponsor and not reside within a PSA. Exception: If the sponsor is enrolled in TRICARE Prime and the local military hospital or clinic cannot accept family members due to patient capacity, TRICARE may allow family members to enroll in TPRADFM. 
    • Family members of activated National Guard and Reserve members must live with the service member on the date the sponsor was called to active duty. Activated National Guard and Reserve members are not required to be enrolled in TPR for their family to enroll in TPRADFM.
  • Waive your drive time standards in order to enroll in TRICARE Prime. You must waive your drive time standards if you want a PCM who is located more than a 30-minute drive but less than 100 miles from your home.

2. Select a PCM

Now that you have chosen your new PCM, you must update the information with TRICARE for the change to be effective.

3. Request a PCM Change

You may request a PCM change online, by submitting the TRICARE Prime Enrollment, Disenrollment and PCM Change form or by phone.

You will receive notification from TRICARE to view your PCM information at milConnect approximately 7–10 business days after the request is processed. This notification will be sent via email or postcard, depending on whether you have an email address on file with DEERS.