Check Authorization Status or Make a Provider Change
Click the "Check Status Now" button to:
- Check authorization and referral status
- Make network-to-network provider changes (see details below)
- Print determination letters
Sign up to get email or text notifications! You can receive a notification from us once we’ve completed processing a referral or pre-authorization request. You’ll be directed to your Secure Inbox to view/print your determination letter.
Requesting Provider Changes
Note: Read our Network-to-Network Provider Change guide for step-by-step instructions.
Please do NOT use our online tool to request provider changes:
- If the status does not show "approved."
- For inpatient care.
- For applied behavior analysis (ABA) services authorized under the Autism Care Demonstration.
- To see a different type of specialist (some exceptions may apply).
- For previously extended referrals/pre-authorizations.
- If the requested provider is a non-network provider.
- If the care was authorized to a military hospital or clinic through the right of first refusal process.
- For active duty service members only: If the referral/authorization was reviewed by a Specified Authorization Staff (SAS) member responsible for coordinating care under TRICARE Prime Remote.
Processing Timelines and Determination Letters
- Health Net Federal Services, LLC (HNFS) does not have access to referrals within the military health system.
- We process routine requests within 2–5 business days of receiving the complete request from the provider.
- We process urgent requests in an expedited manner for care that needs to be delivered within 72 hours.
TRICARE requires beneficiaries access referral and authorization determination letters online. To do this, log in and click on “Secure Inbox” or print letters from our “Authorization Status” tool.
Note: If you don't have internet access, you can call customer service to request letters be mailed to you on a per-instance basis. You must do this each time you want a letter mailed, as beneficiaries cannot opt out from receiving electronic referral and authorization notifications.