The following forms of birth control are covered:
- Prescription contraceptives
- PREVEN™ Emergency Contraceptive Kit
- Long-acting reversible contraceptive services
- Injectable contraceptives such as Depo-Provera®
- Implantable contraceptives, if U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved as an implantable contraceptive, such as Implanon®
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs), if FDA-approved, including surgical insertion, removal and replacement (may be inserted during a well-woman exam or postpartum visit)
- Contraceptive diaphragms, including related professional services for measurement, fitting and training on use
- Surgical sterilization (for example, female tubal ligation [also known as tubes tied] and vasectomy)
Over-the-counter birth control products are not a covered benefit.
- See TRICARE's Pharmacy page for prescription costs.
- For female tubal ligation services:
- For long-acting reversible contraceptive devices/services, refer to Preventive Services Costs.
- Note: Beneficiaries who were charged a copayment for services rendered July 28-Oct. 31, 2022, can request the claim be reprocessed.