The following forms of birth control are covered:
- prescription contraceptives
- PREVEN™ Emergency Contraceptive Kit
- injectable contraceptives such as Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate)
- implantable contraceptives, if FDA-approved as an implantable contraceptive, such as Implanon®
- intrauterine devices (IUDs)*, if FDA-approved, including surgical insertion, removal and replacement (may be inserted during a well-woman exam or postpartum visit)
- contraceptive diaphragms*, including related professional services for measurements and placement, removal or replacement
- surgical sterilization (for example, tubal ligation also known as tubes tied, and vasectomy)
- permanent birth control such as Essure® or Adiana®
*IUD insertion or diaphragm fitting services not performed during a clinical preventive exam may require an approval from Health Net Federal Services, LLC for TRICARE Prime beneficiaries.
Over-the-counter birth control products are not a covered benefit.
- See TRICARE's Pharmacy page for prescription costs.
- For contraceptive devices/services received during an office visit, see Office Visit Costs. Note: DME cost-shares apply for IUDs.
- For contraceptive devices/services received during a clinical preventive exam, see Preventive Services Costs. Note: DME cost-shares apply for IUDs.