What do I want to ask my doctor today?
1. What is my diagnosis and what does it mean in layman’s terms?
2. What is my outlook for the future? (How many days will I feel sick?)
3. What are my treatment options?
4. What will this medicine do to cure or help improve my condition?
- How long after taking this medication will I start to feel better?
- How long do I have to take it for?
- What kind of side effects should I expect when taking this medicine? (Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
5. What is the purpose of this test/procedure?
- What can I expect to occur during this test/procedure?
- How will I feel during and after the test/procedure?
- Are there any alternatives to this test/procedure?
6. Is the care recommended covered by my health plan? By some health plans? If not, why not?
What do I want to tell my doctor today?
1. When the symptoms started and how long they have lasted.
- Anything that brings on the symptoms
- What the symptoms feel like and are they getting worse, better or staying the same?
- Any lifestyle changes made when symptoms began (change of diet, excercise, sleep pattern, etc.)
- Is there anything I can do to make the symptoms better?
2. Bring a complete list of all the medications you are currently taking: prescribed, over-the-counter and vitamin/mineral supplements along with the amount you take daily, how often, and if there are any special instructions on taking it.