Suicide Prevention Month
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Health Net Federal Services, LLC (HNFS) observes September as Suicide Prevention month. TRICARE offers mental health care services for those coping with mental health issues, including thoughts of suicide, and beneficiaries are encouraged to seek help when needed. As a provider working with TRICARE patients, you can help by staying aware of your patient’s mental health and referring them to mental health specialists whenever suicide may be a concern.
Resources for Getting Help
In an emergency situation always call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. For non-emergency situations, here are some resources for those who may be suffering:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- Primary Care Managers can offer the most appropriate resources, including referrals to mental health care providers.
- Chaplains can offer professional and spiritual guidance. Most hold counseling degrees and are available at most military installations.
- Military OneSource is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 1-800-342-9647. Service members and their families can receive up to 12 counseling sessions without a referral.
- The Real Warriors Campaign features print materials and online resources, including stories of real service members who have sought treatment and maintained successful military or civilian careers.
For more information on programs and mental health resources, visit www.tricare.mil/mentalhealth. Additionally, HNFS offers an online Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Fact Sheet.
Follow us on Facebook and use #BeThere to help promote suicide prevention.