Phishing Scam: West Region Providers Targeted
Friday, May 31, 2019
Health Net Federal Services, LLC (HNFS) recently became aware of an email phishing scam targeting TRICARE West Region providers. The scam involves using a spoofed HNFS website in an attempt to acquire providers’ email addresses and email passwords.
How it works
- A provider receives an email from an organization pretending to be “TRICARE West” or HNFS. For example, “email@example.com” or “Tricare-west Healthnet.”
- The email instructs the recipient to log in to “your account” to review account information.
- Upon clicking a link, the recipient is redirected to a fake website that mimics HNFS’ official www.tricare-west.com website.
- The recipient is asked to verify his/her identity by entering in his/her email address and email address password.
- The scammer can use this information to try accessing your email account or other online accounts.
HNFS will never ask for the password to your personal or professional email account. Providers use usernames and passwords specific to www.tricare-west.com to access secure tools on the website. HNFS may send emails about your tricare-west.com account, but we will never ask you to provide passwords associated with personal or professional email addresses (for example, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Outlook).
If you receive a suspected phishing email, do not open any attachments or click on any links. If you need to verify www.tricare-west.com account information, access the website directly from your web browser.
Let HNFS know
HNFS offers multiple ways for providers and beneficiaries to report suspected fraud:
- Online using the Report Fraud or Abuse function.
- Call HNFS’ Fraud Hotline at 1-844-886-2206.
- Email HNFS at Program.Integrity@healthnet.com.
- Fax information to HNFS at 1-844-734-1266.
- Mail information to HNFS at HNFS Program Integrity, PO Box 10310, Virginia Beach, VA 23450-10310.