Age-appropriate immunizations and vaccines are covered in accordance with Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) age and frequency recommendations. For new CDC recommendations made after the annual schedule has been published, coverage for the immunization is effective the date the recommendation is published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR).
Immunizations are also covered:
- for active duty family members who accompany the active duty service member overseas during a permanent change of station,
- if the beneficiary currently holds a job position that requires an immunization or vaccine and meets the following requirements:
- the beneficiary is high risk for active disease,
- the beneficiary is eligible for screening and/or prophylaxis per the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) adopted recommendations, and
- the vaccine has been accepted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health and Human Services (HHS).
When available, covered immunizations and vaccines may be administered at participating retail network pharmacies. Visit TRICARE's Immunization page to learn more.
See also infectious disease screening and vaccination, flu vaccine, human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, and zoster (shingles) vaccine.
Visit our Get Correct Payment for Immunizations and Injectables page to learn how to accurately submit immunization claims.
Services Not Covered
- Immunizations and vaccines solely required for job placement or vocational school
- Immunizations for vacation or other non-service connected travel