Paying Enrollment Fees by Allotment
New for January 2021
Effective Jan. 1, 2021, most retirees and their family members enrolled in TRICARE Select who are Group A will begin paying enrollment fees. You are considered Group A if you or your sponsor enlisted or was appointed prior to Jan. 1, 2018.
Medically retired, their family members and survivors are excluded from this change. This change does not impact TRICARE For Life. Learn more at www.tricare.mil/selectenrollmentfees.
TRICARE Select Retirees Can Take Action Now
We can now accept monthly automatic payment set-up requests for TRICARE Select Group A 2021 enrollment fees. You do not need to wait for TRICARE Open Season to begin.
- Payments must be made by allotment, when feasible. If you are unable to pay by allotment, you must set up automatic payments via a bank account or credit/debit card.
- You must sign up for allotment no later than Nov. 20, 2020. After Nov. 20, you must both set up your allotment AND make a one-time monthly payment prior to Dec. 31 to avoid a break in coverage.
TRICARE beneficiaries who do not pay required enrollment fees are subject to disenrollment.
An allotment allows you to have your TRICARE Prime and/or Select enrollment fee automatically deducted from your retirement pay.
- Allotments can only be used for TRICARE Prime and Select enrollment fees.
- You may establish monthly fee payments via allotment if you receive your retirement pay from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
- For Coast Guard or Public Health Services (PHS) retirees, TRICARE Select allotment set ups are not yet available through Coast Guard/PHS. You can set up automatic payments via a bank account or a credit/debit card.
- If you have some family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime and others in TRICARE Select, you must submit separate allotment payment requests for each plan type, even if the allotment is being pulled from the same retirement pay.
How to Set Up an Allotment
You can set up your allotment one of three ways:
- Online: Use our Manage My Payment tool.
- Telephone self-service: Call 1-844-866-WEST (9378). After entering your sponsor information, select ‘Enrollment’ and then option 4 for TRICARE Select allotments.
- Paper application:
Based on when you submit your request, you may need to pay up to three months up front when establishing allotment payments.
Exception: TRICARE Select Group A retirees who set up their allotment by Nov. 20, 2020, will not need to make an up-front payment. After Nov. 20, you must both set up your allotment AND make a one-time monthly payment prior to Dec. 31 to avoid a break in coverage.