Paying Enrollment Fees by Allotment
New for January 2021
Effective Jan. 1, 2021, most retirees and their family members enrolled in TRICARE Select who are Group A will begin paying enrollment fees. You are considered Group A if you or your sponsor enlisted or was appointed prior to Jan. 1, 2018.
Medically retired, their family members and survivors are excluded from this change. This change does not impact TRICARE For Life. Learn more at www.tricare.mil/selectenrollmentfees.
TRICARE Select Group A Retirees: Take Action Now
You must take action to set up monthly automatic payments for 2021 enrollment fees.
- Payments must be made by allotment, when feasible. If you are unable to pay by allotment, you must set up automatic payments via a bank account or credit/debit card.
- After Nov. 20, 2020, you must set up your allotment AND make a one-time payment prior to Dec. 31 to avoid a break in coverage.
- If you do not set up automatic payments (and make a payment if applicable) by Dec. 31, you'll be disenrolled from TRICARE Select. This means you will only be able to get care from a military hospital or clinic if space is available. You'll have 180 days to request reinstatement and will be responsible for past enrollment fees.
How to Set Up an Allotment
- Online: Use our Manage My Payment tool (open in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 11).
- Telephone self-service: Call 1-844-866-WEST (9378). You do not need to speak to a live representative. After entering your sponsor information, select ‘Enrollment’ and then option 4 for TRICARE Select allotments.
- Paper application:
Based on when you submit your request, you may need to pay up to three months up front when establishing allotment payments. TRICARE beneficiaries who do not pay required enrollment fees are subject to disenrollment.
Confirming Allotment Set Up
We will send a confirmation email within four business days after receiving your allotment set up request. Use our Manage My Payment tool to see current payment status, including allotment details. Please allow up to two business days for our systems to update.
An allotment allows you to have your TRICARE Prime and/or Select enrollment fee automatically deducted from your retirement pay.
- Allotments can only be used for TRICARE Prime and Select enrollment fees.
- You may establish monthly fee payments via allotment if you receive your retirement pay from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
- For Coast Guard or Public Health Services (PHS) retirees, TRICARE Select allotment set ups are not yet available through Coast Guard/PHS. You can set up automatic payments via a bank account or a credit/debit card.
- If you have some family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime and others in TRICARE Select, you must submit separate allotment payment requests for each plan type, even if the allotment is being pulled from the same retirement pay.